When it comes to sports betting, few areas have undergone more dramatic changes than Ontario. Thus, residents of Toronto need to understand exactly their opportunities when it comes to betting on the hometown Maple Leafs.
Ontario stands alone in the country because of its decision to open as a commercial sports betting mecca. Since April 2022, dozens of sportsbook operators – including some of the industry’s biggest names – have debuted their apps in the province, and the choices for wagering on the Leafs are nearly endless.
We’re here to help. This page is for all Toronto Maple Leafs fans who want to become Toronto Maple Leafs bettors – and, ideally, successful ones at that.
Tonight’s Maple Leafs odds
Maple Leafs Stanley Cup odds
Auston Matthews MVP odds
Best Toronto Maple Leafs Betting Sites
With so many options at your fingertips, you may be struggling to decide which sportsbook apps are the best. While opinions vary, the five sportsbooks below are – as best as we can figure – the cream of the crop.
Caesars is the sports betting wing of Caesars Entertainment, one of the world’s largest gaming companies. In all likelihood, you have encountered the company before – particularly if you have visited the Caesars retail casino in Windsor.
The first thing worthy of mention with the Caesars Sportsbook app is its simplicity. Too many sportsbook apps make the mistake of pairing complexity with effectiveness, and Caesars is a clear argument to the contrary. The app is easy to use and easy for quick navigation to the bets you want to make, be it on the Maple Leafs or otherwise.
Caesars is also a top sportsbook for same game parlay bettors. If you would like to confine your parlay wagers to Maple Leafs games only, Caesars may be the right choice for you.
Finally, Caesars’ combination of live betting and live streaming options means that you’ll never be out of the loop on a Maple Leafs game. Furthermore, you can augment your bets that are off to a good start and/or hedge against the ones that don’t seem to be in good shape. It’s not uncommon to find that you’ll have more than one hundred wagering options through Caesars’ live betting suite on every single game.
BetMGM Sportsbook is, unsurprisingly, the sportsbook brand representing casino giant MGM Resorts. The app itself has been available in Ontario since the provincial doors opened in 2022.
BetMGM Sportsbook is notable for the incredible flexibility and control that it affords Ontario bettors. It offers the now-standard Cash Out option on open wagers, but it expands dramatically on that feature through its Edit My Bet program. In addition to settling a wager early, you can add to it, drop parts that aren’t performing as well, change out participants, or add to the amount of your wager. If the Maple Leafs are rolling, you might be able to make out even better than you initially anticipated.
You can monitor the game(s) that you’ve chosen to wager through BetMGM’s live streaming service, too. Live bets come and go so quickly that it is essential for you to stay on top of the game’s progress.
Finally, if you are a parlay bettor, you may find a home with BetMGM. BetMGM offers its customers the Easy Parlay Builder, a unique feature that allows you to move between different sports, different games, and different types of wagers with the push of a button. Assembling a good parlay is difficult enough without having to navigate the different screens of an app for the sports and games you want. The Easy Parlay Builder takes away most of that guesswork.
BetRivers Sportsbook is the sports betting arm of Rush Street Interactive, a (mostly) regional casino company that maintains most of its properties in the American Northeast. However, BetRivers Sportsbook has spread all across the US, and its debut in Ontario in April 2022 was a natural continuation of its North American expansion.
A quick look at the BetRivers app reveals one of the biggest reasons to make this sportsbook one of your favourites: the odds. BetRivers Sportsbook commonly has some of the most competitive odds across its listings that you’re likely to see. You should always shop around for the best odds once you decide on a wager, but don’t be surprised if you find yourself returning to BetRivers regularly.
BetRivers Sportsbook is also an industry leader for live betting and live streaming. Although other sportsbooks offer similar suites for its customers, few do it as well as BetRivers.
Finally, BetRivers gives each player access to a rarely-seen statistics hub. This function collates all manner of stats and information into one central location – stats and information that you would need to make informed betting decisions. It is refreshing to find a sportsbook that so willingly provides this level of information to its player base.
Bet365 Sportsbook is a European sportsbook that has migrated across the Atlantic to North America in the past few years. It has been part of the market in Ontario since the first day of open service in April 2022.
Where other sportsbooks have excellent live betting options, bet365 goes a step further. There is simply no other app with as many opportunities for betting after a game begins as bet365.
Using bet365 Sportsbook is also easy, especially with regard to depositing and withdrawing. There are more options for moving money with bet365 than with almost any app in Ontario. If you want to have plenty of ways to deposit and withdraw, bet365 might be worth a look.
Finally, bet365 Sportsbook is able to draw on its years of experience in Europe to inform its odds setting and operations. Its app is simple, but quite functional, solid, and easy to use. If you want a sportsbook without too many frills – just good things – bet365 would certainly fit that bill.
DraftKings bears a name that most Ontarians probably know. Funny as it would seem, the company’s famous daily fantasy sports platform left the province at almost the same time as its sportsbook appeared. However, Toronto residents and other Toronto Maple Leafs’ fans are unlikely to feel as though things have gotten worse.
The first thing to notice is that every possible wager you’d want on the Maple Leafs is available on DraftKings. DraftKings Sportsbook offers one of the broadest selections of bets in the entire Ontario market.
Another feature that you may enjoy with DraftKings is DraftKings Social. This social media hub allows you to connect with other like-minded bettors for Maple Leafs’ wagering or whatever group you want to join. Bets may be automatically populated within the group settings, and you can sweat the bets you’ve made with other wagerers in a way that most online sportsbooks do not permit.
Finally, DraftKings also offers a tournament-like structure to bettors through its betting pools. You join a pool and make the required selections that every other bettor makes. Then, as the event progresses, you gain placement on a leaderboard with other bettors. Top finishers receive cash payouts. Best of all, the pools are entirely free to enter, so you can scratch your competitive itch without incurring any additional risk.
A Maple Leafs Primer on Betting
Hopefully, you have some ideas about sportsbooks that you’d like to try. If you’re already a sports bettor who happens to be a Maple Leafs fan, that’s fantastic – proceed to your favourite sportsbook app and get started. However, if you are new to betting on the team from Toronto, here’s a quick rundown on the different ways to bet on Toronto Maple Leafs games.
- Moneylines – Moneylines are the most basic of sports wagers. You are betting on which team you believe will win – the Maple Leafs, or whatever team they’re playing. The only confusion is the meaning of the three-digit numbers denoting the moneyline. It’s simple – negative numbers are next to the favourite and represent the amount you must bet to win CAD100. Positive numbers, on the other hand, are next to the underdog and are the amount that a correct CAD100 wager will win.’
- Three-way moneylines – Some games are evenly-matched, and it helps to have an option to guess an overtime is coming. This type of wager allows you to do so, as you may wager that the score will be even after 60 minutes. You can also bet either side will win on this bet, like any moneyline, but you do not win the wager if the game goes to overtime or a shootout.
- Puck lines – Puck lines may sound strange, but are merely a hockey-specific wrinkle on the common point spread wager. The spread is set at 1.5 goals, regardless of who is playing, but the sportsbook varies the payout ratios more dramatically than it would for a spread bet in order to compensate for the teams’ differences in ability.
- Totals – You may have heard about totals before and not realized it. These bets are also known as the “over/under,” which gives us a big hint as to their mechanism of action. The book estimates the combined point total that the teams will produce, and you wager whether the actual combined total will be higher or lower than the estimate.
- Futures – Futures wagers occupy their attention by guessing at the cumulative outcome of a season of play. If you believe that the Maple Leafs are bound to win the Stanley Cup or that one of the Leafs’ players will take home an end-of-season trophy, a futures bet is the wager you’re wanting to make.
- Propositions – Propositions, or props, are wagers concerned with smaller statistical achievements scattered throughout the course of a game. A typical prop asks a question about whether a certain event will come to pass, and you bet to signal your answer – either a “yes” or a “no.”
- Live betting – Live betting is a form of prop wagering that occurs only after a game has begun. Its options are usually quite short-lived in nature, and they come and go in rapid succession. An ample live betting market on a sportsbook app can easily boost the number of wagers for a single game above 100.
- Parlays – Parlays fold together many single wagers into one massive bet. Each single wager is called a “leg,” and you can have as few as two or as many as infinity legs as you like. However, most sportsbooks will limit you to no more than 10 – 12 legs on a bet. The catch with parlays, and the reason why they are high-risk bets, is that you must be completely accurate to get paid. If even one of your legs proves inaccurate, you don’t win a thing.
No matter the sportsbook you choose in Ontario, you can rest assured that you’ll find options for all of these types of wagers on Maple Leafs games and any other hockey games you want to bet.
Bonus Types You’ll Encounter in Ontario
Along with the different types of wagers that you’ll find in Ontario, you’ll find bonus and promotional offers with the sportsbook apps that can put extra money in your sportsbook accounts and, ultimately, your pocket. While we cannot necessarily recommend that you take advantage of any particular bonus, it is important that you know how the offers you’re seeing work.
- No deposit – No deposit bonuses are commonly called “welcome” bonuses because they are most frequently used with new account holders. These bonuses are usually given as site credits or free bets to use as trial balloons on the app. As their name implies, you don’t have to put forth any of your own money to try out the app.
- Deposit – Deposit bonuses, or “match” bonuses, serve to boost the amount of your deposit beyond its initial value. The sportsbook matches all or a portion of your deposit – to a certain amount – and allows you to add that amount to your account balance.
- Risk-free bets – Risk-free bets, also known as “insurance” or “refund” bonuses, take away some of the risk that you incur when you place specific sports wagers. Any net losses shown during the specified periods are subject to a refund of site credits or free bet vouchers, and you can use these to bet the value of your lost stake again.
- Odds boosts – Odds boosts are increased payouts applied to certain wagers each day. The sportsbook elects to bump up the potential profit in order to increase interest and betting on its chosen offers. The bumps are usually worth anywhere from 15% to 35% over the initial payout.
- Loyalty programs – Loyalty or reward programs are the most common type of bonus and the only type you’ll find as often in retail sportsbooks and casinos as you will online. For every bet you make, you’ll receive a certain amount of points. Points are good for both placement on a tiered reward ladder and, in some cases, redemption in a specialized store.
No matter the kind of bonus you examine, make sure to read the fine print in the offer’s terms and conditions. The biggest item for your attention is the bonus’ playthrough requirement, which is the multiple of your bonus award that you’ll have to wager in order to release the bonus dollars as actual money in your account. High multiples mean that you’re going to be spending long hours betting or the unpleasant prospect of betting above your comfort zone, so be careful before you say “yes” to any offer.
Strategies to Maximize your Toronto Maple Leafs Bets
At this point, you may already be quite experienced when it comes to betting Leafs’ games. On the other hand, single-game sports wagering is still relatively new in Canada, so it’s not a surprise if you’re still a bit apprehensive about it. In either case, the tips below are meant to frame correctly your wagering on the Maple Leafs.
The first thing to realize is that all hockey games are relatively low-scoring affairs. Most NHL games feature no more than five goals combined, and many games are decided by one goal margins. The difference between the favourites and the underdogs is not dramatic, and there are often unexpected swings. So, take any game that puts the Maple Leafs as favourites with a grain of salt – particularly if they are the heavy favourites.
It’s important to understand the reality of the puck line, too. Although the line is set at 1.5 goals, the favourite to beat that spread may not, in fact, be the most likely outcome. It is quite common to see puck lines where the “favourite” – the team with the -1.5 by their name – is actually paying out with a positive moneyline, like an underdog. In that case, the book is judging that the chances of a beaten spread are far less than a covered spread.
You should also look askance at any totals offers that go above that five-goal threshold. Think about it – the minimum score for five goals is a 3 to 2 contest, which is already a fairly high-scoring match. So, if you see a totals bet for a Leafs game or some other NHL contest with the sportsbook’s estimate above five goals, it might be a good idea to bet the “under.”
If you want to bet the Toronto Maple Leafs to win the Stanley Cup, that’s fine. Bear in mind, however, that the futures listings for every team in the NHL are going to pin the chance of each team winning as less likely than it is some other team will win it all. So, it’s going to be rare that the Maple Leafs will be outright favoured to win the Cup, no matter how good the team is.
The better strategy for this type of bet is to use your own study and research to come up with a rough estimate for the Maple Leafs’ chances to win it all. Then, look for options within your sportsbook rotation that offer a higher payout. If you believe the Maple Leafs have a 15:1 chance of winning the Stanley Cup, then a listing above that mark (16:1 or higher) is a “value” opportunity because of the equity on the bet. It’s no guarantee that you’ll win, but you’ll at least be compensated appropriately for the risk.
Finally, Ontario bettors have the opportunity to enhance their wagering in a way that no other provincial inhabitants do. You must shop your wagers before you place them. If you’ve decided on a bet that you think looks promising, don’t just place it with your favourite sportsbook. Make sure to shop around among the other legal sportsbooks and see if there are any better deals. If you’re already committed to the wager, any higher payouts are just extra value for your risk.
How Ontario odds compare with Vegas odds
Though sports betting has spread into the majority of states and into Canada, the oddsmakers in Las Vegas remain the intelligentsia when it comes to the opening odds for bets in North America. So, you may be wondering how the odds you find in Ontario compare with those published in Nevada.
The short answer is that there is unlikely to be much variation at the outset. The opening lines are going to be universal across the board and border, so there’s nothing to worry about in terms of some sort of cross-border shortchanging.
However, as the game approaches, you may see a greater deal of change with your local sportsbooks than you will with the Vegas numbers. Part of the shift will be due to the fact that local handicappers may have a deeper understanding of the Maple Leafs’ team and its chances against its next opponent. On the other hand, you may also see some changes that reflect only the desires of Toronto Maple Leafs fans, rather than a determination about the likeliest outcome.
If you notice that the numbers for local sportsbooks don’t seem to match your own impressions of the Maple Leafs’ game(s), then there may be an opportunity for you to win. The only issue is that you’ll have to stomach the idea of wagering against your favourite team. If that’s too much to bear (understandable), then discretion may be the better part of valour.