Ottawa Senators Betting Options
Fans of the Ottawa Senators now have dozens of options available to them for betting. Because Ottawa is part of Ontario, its inhabitants can take part in the only commercial market in Canada.
In fact, all of Ontario has been open for business since April 2022. The province is the first and, to date, only province to allow commercial sportsbooks to set up shop inside its borders.
Needless to say, the 14 million residents and countless visitors drew the attention of the top sportsbooks on the planet. Ontarians, including Ottawa Senators fans, now have the opportunity to play with the likes of BetMGM, bet365, and Caesars. So, Ottawans, if you want to know how wagering on your favourite NHL team works, this page is for you.
Best Sites for Betting the Ottawa Senators
The sheer number of sportsbook apps available in Ottawa is overwhelming. There are more than two dozen options, and the exact count is certain to increase as time goes by. So, in order to help separate the cream of the crop from the rest of the crowd, here are our picks for the best sportsbooks to bet on the Ottawa Senators.
The DraftKings name should ring plenty of bells for Ottawa residents. After all, until recently, DK was a top daily fantasy sports provider in the province. However, because of the rules imposed by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO), DraftKings no longer offers DFS service to Ontarians.
You probably won’t miss it, however, because of the tremendous number of options that the DraftKings Sportsbook app affords you. The first thing you’ll notice when you get started is the DraftKings betting carousel. This revolving feature promotes the day’s bets that, based upon your history and stated preferences, you’re most likely to want.
DraftKings also offers you the ability to live bet in a nearly-unprecedented manner. The app’s use of SimpleBet’s micro-betting technology allows you the option of betting on the outcome of individual plays during the game – though these options might be limited for Senators’ games.
Finally, DraftKings has two tools with which it builds out your customer experience like few other sportsbooks. Its betting pools are a way to give sports bettors a tournament scenario, where you’re actually competing against other players for leaderboard spots. The other tool is DraftKings Social, which is a dedicated social media platform that gives you the chance to connect with other bettors and people on the app.
Caesars Sportsbook is, obviously, the sportsbook app representing the Roman-themed casino giant of the same name. You may have experienced some of the hospitality that Caesars offers already through its property in Windsor. Even if you haven’t, you should think about using Caesars when you bet on the Senators.
The first reason to look at Caesars is its proliferation of same game parlay options. If you would like to make a parlay bet but avoid involving teams other than the Senators, Caesars may be the exact place that you need to go. Each Senators game should have multiple options to create a multi-legged wager.
Another strong aspect of the Caesars experience is the depth of its live betting and live streaming choices. Along with offering a tremendous number of bets after the first puck drop, Caesars gives you the ability to monitor all of your wagered games through the app. If you need to move quickly on a live bet – which you will – it is crucial that you have the game’s progress in front of you in real time.
Finally, Caesars wins high marks for an unusual reason – its simplicity. Within all of these different functions, the app architecture is straightforward and easy to understand. While Caesars Sportsbook is never going to wow you with bells and whistles, there is something to be said for always being able to find the bets you want to make.
BetMGM Sportsbook Ontario is the representative in the province for one of the world’s largest gaming companies. It is also one of the best options you have available for placing wagers on the Ottawa Senators.
One of the first things to note about BetMGM is its live streaming. Like you can with other major sportsbook apps, you can keep an eye on the progress of your wagers through the BetMGM live streaming suite. If you have any desire to do in-game wagering or just like to stay abreast of your open bets, this functionality is absolutely critical for success.
BetMGM also offers you the opportunity to adjust your open wagers in a way that few other sportsbook apps can match. In addition to the Cash Out option, which is standard fare on most apps these days, you can take advantage of BetMGM’s Edit My Bet feature. This function allows you to add to your open bets, remove parts of them, or even swap out the teams involved. You can even add to the amount of your bet if you think that things are looking positive.
Finally, BetMGM is home to the Easy Parlay Builder. One of the hardest parts about betting parlays – other than winning – is putting the legs you want together. This feature allows you to move between types of bets and different sports with only the press of a button. If you don’t want to sift through hundreds of wagers in search of your next leg, BetMGM Sportsbook might be the place to go.
BetRivers Sportsbook is the sports betting brand name for Rush Street Interactive, a US-based casino company with most of its operations in the northeastern portions of the country. However, despite RSI’s regionality, it has had no qualms about expanding into multiple markets in the States and – now – in Canada.
BetRivers’ value to you, the Ottawa Senators bettors, lies with one of the most fundamental aspects of sports betting – the odds. BetRivers offers extremely competitive odds for all Senators’ games. Even though you should always shop your odds as a matter of course, the reality is that BetRivers is going to be the best deal for you most of the time.
BetRivers also offers each player access to the extremely helpful statistics hub. One of the struggles with sports betting is both gathering and collating the information about teams and players in a meaningful way. Until you get these details worked out, you cannot hope to synthesize the data into actionable betting options. So, it’s awfully nice of BetRivers to give you its own bit of technology in order to facilitate your wagers.
Finally, BetRivers has a deep and impressive list of live betting and live streaming options. If you would prefer to let the Senators get underway before you make your first bet, BetRivers is worth your attention as a potential destination.
Bet365 Sportsbook probably doesn’t bear as much brand recognition and cachet in North America as some of the other sportsbooks. Its decades of experience, while important and valuable, have mostly been garnered overseas. However, bet365 was one of the apps present on the first day of service in Ontario, and it deserves your consideration.
For one thing, there is no finer place to live bet than bet365. Its live betting options for the Senators or, for that matter, any other major sporting event go well beyond any of the competition. If in-play wagering is a cornerstone of your sports betting strategy, you are doing yourself a disservice by missing out on bet365 Sportsbook.
Another reason to throw in your hat with bet365 is all those years of experience under its belt. There is no road untraveled for bet365 personnel, at this point, and its betting options are both numerous and competitive in their offered odds. Few sportsbooks in the market offer the same sort of stability as bet365.
Finally, if you want to have multiple options for depositing and withdrawing, bet365 Sportsbook is probably the correct choice for you. Ontario sportsbooks simply do not have a plethora of banking options most of the time, but bet365 sure does.
How to Bet on the Ottawa Senators
No matter which sportsbook you choose to bet on the Ottawa Senators, you are going to have the same types of bets available to you. It’s important that you understand how each of these wagers work in order to maximize your profits on Senators games.
- Moneylines – The moneyline is a bet on which team wins – pure and simple. The three-digit numbers that denote the moneyline are the payouts for a successful wager on each team. Negative moneylines are the amount you must bet to win CAD100. Positive moneylines are the amount you’ll win if you bet CAD100.
- Three-way moneylines – A subset of moneylines include the notion of a draw game as a possibility. Since NHL games now go into overtime and shootouts, these bets limit themselves to the outcome of regulation, irrespective of any extra time. Your choice must “win” by the third period’s final buzzer, or you lose your wager.
- Puck lines – Puck lines are the replacement bet for the typical point spread wager found with other sports. Because a typical hockey game is a low-scoring contest, estimating a margin of victory is a dodgy task. So, oddsmakers set the spread on all Senators games at 1.5 goals, but vary the payouts in a way more common to moneylines than point spreads.
- Totals – Totals wagers are better known as over/under bets. They are one of the most common types of wagers because of their relative simplicity. The sportsbook estimates the combined goal total of a game, and you bet whether the actual total will be higher or lower than the estimate.
- Futures – Futures wagers are bets about the end of the season. If you’ve ever wanted to put money on the Senators to win the Stanley Cup or for a Senators player to take home the Vezina, the Conn Smythe, or the Hart Memorial Trophy, this is the bet for you. Don’t be surprised, however, if every single listing on one of these wagers is an underdog – it’s hard to predict the future.
- Propositions – Propositions, or prop bets, concern themselves with events ancillary to the direct outcome of the game. They usually focus on smaller statistics or other samplings of the game, rather than the entire game’s outcome. Usually, you’ll be asked a sort of yes/no question, and your answer will be implied by the way that you wager.
- In-game wagering – In-game wagering, or live betting, is a subset of proposition betting that takes place only after a game is underway. Live betting focuses its energy on even smaller portions of the game – the outcome of a power play or whether the Senators will score in the final two minutes of the second period are typical fodder for live wagers. It’s not unusual for in-game wagers to add more than one hundred betting options to a single game’s slate of bets.
- Parlays – Parlays fold several individual wagers into one massive bet. In order to win, you must correctly select every constituent bet in your parlay. Even one mistake causes the bet to be lost. However, if you can choose all of your bets, or “legs,” correctly, you may find yourself the recipient of a rather outsized payout.
Types of Ottawa Senators sportsbook bonuses
Along with the different wagers you’ll have at your fingertips, you’ll also have the opportunity to participate in the bonuses and promotions that Ontario sportsbooks have available. Because the province is home to a competitive market, apps must be willing to entice your business through various offers and deals. While we can’t go into specifics about any promos, we can help you parse out exactly what types of bonuses you’re encountering.
- No deposit – A no deposit bonus puts bonus money or a bet voucher into your account without requiring you to come out of pocket. Needless to say, these bonuses are rare. Typically, they are reserved as an enticement for new players to register, and they allow the new bettors to “test drive” the site for free.
- Deposit – Deposit bonuses match a portion of your deposit amount with extra site credits. The percentage of the match varies from deal to deal, and can be as high as 100%. However, deposit bonuses also limit the total amount of bonus money you can capture, and these deals are often subject to high playthrough requirements.*
- Risk-free bets – Risk-free bets vow to refund any net losses you take when making certain wagers. The wagers will either be specifically designated by the book or will occur during a specified time period. You’ll receive a portion of your net losses as site credits or bet vouchers, and there may be some playthrough associated with the refund.
- Odds boosts – Odds boosts pump the payout value of a standard wager beyond what its probability suggests. Most of the time, sportsbooks select bets that they want more people to choose as their wagers (for whatever reason). The increase is usually between 15% and 35%, and probably isn’t worth a bet on its own, but it’s a nice perk if you were already leaning towards making a similar wager anyway.
- Loyalty program – Loyalty, or rewards, programs are the most familiar type of bonuses to most people because they are the only type of bonus commonly found in land-based casinos and sportsbooks. In either case, you receive points based upon the gross amount of wagering that you do. The points place you on some sort of tiered system, where each successful layer of the system promises benefits like free bets, comps, and other goodies. It’s also possible that loyalty programs may be spent in a special online store to purchase swag or more free wagering coupons.
*A playthrough, or wagering, requirement specifies a multiple of the bonus money that you must wager to release the credits as actual dollars. They can be as low as a single wash of the money, but some of them can demand more than 20x the bonus amount. In other words, if you were eligible for CAD10 in site credits, you’d have to wager CAD200 to release it to your account.
Tips for Betting Ottawa Senators Games
Successful sports betting is not easy. Although there are professional sports bettors in the world, these are technicians that spend years perfecting their strategies and, for lack of a better term, algorithms for selecting winners. However, there are a few techniques that anyone can employ and increase their chances of winning. If you want to give yourself the best chance to win your Senators bets, here are some of the things you can do:
- Study and learn as much as you can. Much of expert sports betting is about information. While you’re unlikely to have access to some of the tools the pros use, you should make it a habit to study both the Senators and their next opponent. Pay special attention to recent and individual performances, as they are often the best determinant for how the next game will go.
- Keep it simple. We spoke at length about all the different betting options you have available to you, but the truth of the matter is that you should probably keep your bets as simple as you can. Pick one of the three main ways to bet – puck line, moneylines, or totals – and study how successful bettors anticipate the outcome of these bets. Leave the crazy parlays and wacky propositions until you’ve got more experience.
- Shop around. Don’t forfeit the biggest advantage that you have as an Ontario sports bettor. Make sure you shop several different sportsbook apps before you finalize a wager. Any bits of value you can pick up – even a point or two – is a better chance of victory for you and more money in your pocket.
- Never bet with money you need. This last tip is universal for all forms of gambling. The money you use to bet the Senators should never ever be money you reserved for the non-luxuries in your life. In fact, we would recommend that gambling money be of the very lowest priority, even among luxury and discretionary spending. The minute you start needing to win a sports bet, you will find yourself in a dire situation.
Is there a difference between Ontario odds and Vegas odds?
Yes, but not at first. Las Vegas remains a mecca for sports betting, particularly in North America. The products of its resident oddsmakers are considered to be the gold standard for odds, and the odds you’ll find in Ontario will begin their lives in almost identical spots as the Vegas odds.
However, the changes that occur to the Ontario odds are likely to be more dramatic because of the hometown factor. Casual sports bettors tend to bet on their favourite teams more often than seasoned bettors – even if the Senators don’t warrant such attention in a particular game. So, expect to see the odds vary more broadly in Ontario for Ottawa Senators games.
Now, this volatility can be useful to you, the smart Ontario bettor. However, you’ll have to figure out the reasons behind the changes before you can take advantage. If the shifts are occurring because it seems as though local bettors are aware of some factor that Las Vegas bookies are not, then you may consider getting to the bet. But, if you determine that everyone is betting the Senators because it’s the Senators and we’re all Senators fans here, then you might be able to find some value if you’re willing to bet against your favourite team.
It’s up to you.